Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Attack of the Hives

You may think that this post is about crazed African Bees, but you would be wrong, it is also not about the music group. Here is a picture of Tommy last night (1/15), he was happy... recovering from an ear infection treated with amoxicillin--you may notice some small red blotches on his right forehead (nothing a little base can't cover).


Here is a "before" picture:



Another picture from last night:




Now the after pictures: (Kassie said he looked like he was wearing a mask)






His face may have been too swollen to smile....






His eyes were almost swollen shut:





I did call the nurse because his skin looked black and blue after his nap. I was a little worried!! Of course they said to bring him in. They looked him over and the doctor said he was fine and that hives can become a bruise-like color. I wish the nurse would have just told me over the phone so we didn't have to make the fourth trip to the doctor in two weeks. Needless to say we had a stressful day making sure Tommy was not having trouble breathing and giving him benadryl every 6 hours.

The final diagnosis........

Penicillin allergy, so now we are two for two with both kids allergic to that ever useful antibiotic.

8 comments:

J.R. and Meg +3 January 16, 2008 at 9:11 PM  

POOR TOMMY!! Those are quite the photos--they don't even look like him! I feel so bad for cute little Tommy. No fun! Hopefully this will be the end to "health issues" for your family this winter.

Chris and Reba January 17, 2008 at 12:47 AM  

Yikes! I hope you took Tommy out in public a LOT just to see people's reaction to his skin condition. HILARIOUS!! Not.

Aren't hives awful. Ellie gets them too, and I learned the hard way that warm baths + hives are a BAD thing.

I'm sending healthy skin thoughts your way.

Steph January 17, 2008 at 4:55 PM  

I feel so sorry for poor Tommy! Good thing he has such a good mom taking care of him! Let me know if I can help with ANYTHING!

Uncle Johnny January 18, 2008 at 5:49 PM  

My little nephew!! AWWWW!! It makes me sad to see him like that, but he will get better.

emilyy January 19, 2008 at 12:51 AM  

That is so sad and does not look fun. I hope he gets better.

Anonymous January 19, 2008 at 9:50 AM  

poor little guy!

And, you didn't even need to give him pesto!

Heather January 25, 2008 at 10:22 AM  

Oh poor baby! Tanner had that too, but so far the other two aren't allergic to penicillin...I hope!

The Arizona Leavitt's February 12, 2008 at 5:20 PM  

That would worry me as well. I am allergic to Penicillin too, however my reaction wasn't as bad as Tommy's.

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP