Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Eczema

Kassie has had eczema since she was 4 months old. You know, that dry itchy-reddish-rash that is usually in your creases. I tell you what, Eczema is not fun to have when you're little. Kassie used to scratch her skin so bad that it would bleed. Now that she's older and can tell us when she's itchy, the scratching has gotten a lot better. However, when a "flare-up"occurs it still really affects her. We feel so bad for her. We have tried lots of different treatments and we're still looking for something that REALLY works.


Here are a few of our latest attempts.


Mom's Stuff: A homeopathic salve that I found to be too stiff and it smells weird. Not my favorite but here's the website http://www.horseshoemountainpottery.com/momstuff.php if you want to check it out. There are some other neat things on the site.



This one is probably our favorite and the one we use the most. It's a little pricey but worth it.



Good old Aquaphor, recommended for all types of baby stuff, right?!! I think it's really greasy and messy and it gets all over their clothes.




Bag Balm is by far the most "interesting" one in the bunch. We've been trying it for about a week. It actually really helps dry skin!!! It does have a smell to it.

There's a funny story to tell about it too. After Kassie's bath, when I was putting the Bag Balm on her, she noticed the picture on the front and asked me what it was. I told her it was a cow's utter. Her immediate response was, "A cow's utter!! I'm not a cow! I'm a human! Why are we using it?????" At that moment, I felt really bad that I was using stuff you put on a COW'S UTTER..... but I figure it's worth a try.


Oh, and here are some of the medications we've tried.

Cutivate (when the redness is really bad)

Elidel

Benadryl


What do you suggest?

9 comments:

J.R. and Meg +3 March 13, 2008 at 3:16 PM  

No one knows what bag balm is but my mom . . . she swears by it--made me laugh to see it! No fun for Kassie, but she is a good sport though.

Uncle Johnny March 14, 2008 at 7:38 PM  

awww.... "I am human" that made me laugh!!!

G & G March 14, 2008 at 10:18 PM  

Ouch! We feel itchy too!

lisa h. March 15, 2008 at 12:04 AM  

haha! that's a pretty reasonable concern about the cow!! love it!

Chris and Reba March 15, 2008 at 12:14 AM  

When I read what Kassie said, it was like she jumped off the computer screen--I could picture her saying it.

emilyy March 15, 2008 at 11:08 AM  

Elidel worked well for Ethan, but he didn't have anything too bad.

R March 16, 2008 at 9:26 PM  

Yes, Kassie's pretty quick. That made me laugh. I think people use Bag Balm for soreness with nursing too. :)
But so sorry to hear about the eczema. It is sad to see your kid in distress. Plus, frustrating to not find a solution.
I have a friend who's daughter had severe eczema and she swears by using a homeopathic balm (I forgot the name), and taking Nutribiotic grapefruit seed extract (which I did with Bella), and some lactobacillus to help digest (since a lot of eczema is related to food allergies) and some other things. I tried most all of it with Bella, except I used Aquaphor in place of the balm. She swears by all this stuff though--I should show you the before and after pictures of her daughter--they are amazing--huge red patches of eczema on her cheeks are gone! I can find out more or put you in contact with her if you want.
Anyhow, good luck!
4 days to THE MATCH!

The Snavelys March 16, 2008 at 10:54 PM  

I liked your story about Kassie-I can hear her saying "What's an utter?" :) I hope it works for you!

Karen March 18, 2008 at 9:28 PM  

the thick eucerin that comes in a big tub has worked great for my boys' really dry skin. it's kind of expensive but completely worth it, and i love it on my hands in the wintertime. works like a charm overnight :o)
you better post about the match!!!

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP