Saturday, August 16, 2008

Deceptively Delicious

My neighbor across the street has me hooked on this book. She brings us the left overs to try and I am completely amazed how good they are. I don't know, maybe it's because I didn't have to make it or I was hungry but they sure were tasty.
Here's the scoop- Deceptively Delicious has recipes kids like, that are easy to make, and have hidden pureed vegetables or fruit in them. I know..sounds a little crazy and time consuming. My thoughts are, if they are recipes that I am already going to make like mac and cheese or chili, why not add some veggies that you can't taste. The down side is taking the time to puree the fruit and vegetables. My neighbor says it really doesn't take much time to do it. She picks a night, plans ahead what she needs, and what she can store in the freezer. The pureeing part is pretty simple, you steam the vegetables and then puree them in a food processor. Not bad huh!
Kassie is a great eater and I have no problems with her eating. Tommy on the other hand, is more of a challenge! So, I was thinking I would check the book out from the library and try it out.
I have tasted this recipe for mac and cheese. It's very good.

Macaroni and Cheese 1 (with Butternut Squash or Cauliflower)
Created by Jessica Seinfeld


I leave a box of store-bought macaroni and cheese out on the counter and the kids naturally assume….
Ingredients:
Serves 4
· 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
· Nonstick cooking spray
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
· 1/2 cup nonfat skim milk
· 1/2 cup butternut or cauliflower puree
· 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar
cheese (about 8 ounces)
· 4 ounces (almost 1/4 cup) reduced-fat or nonfat cream cheese
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/8 teaspoon paprika
· 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the macaroni and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain in a colander.While the macaroni is cooking, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the oil, then the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture resembles a thick paste but has not browned, 1 to 2 minutes.Add the milk and cook, stirring every now and then, until the mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the vegetable puree, Cheddar, cream cheese and seasonings and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Stir in the macaroni and serve warm.

1 comments:

Uncle Johnny August 20, 2008 at 3:22 AM  

Your such a great mom!!!!!!

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP